Divorce Information St Helens

If you're going through a divorce make sure you're informed about family law, child custody issues, maintenance payments and everything else that could come up in the process. Here you’ll find additional information on divorce as well as local companies and providers that may help you in your search.

Grindrods Solicitors
01744 612549
89 Corporation Street
St Helens

Data Provided by:
Tickle Hall Cross
01744 733333
25 Hardshaw St
St Helens

Data Provided by:
Frodshams Solicitors
01744 626600
19 Hardshaw Street
St Helens

Data Provided by:
Potter Morris
01744 730376
7 George Street
St Helens

Data Provided by:
Colbeck Costing Services
01744 759687
14 Hardshaw Street
St Helens

Data Provided by:
J Keith Park
01744 634000
Claughton House
St Helens

Data Provided by:
Stephensons Solicitors
01744 731131
95-101 Corporation Street
St Helens

Data Provided by:
Barwise & Co
0151 2927800
71 North Road
St Helens

Data Provided by:
B W C Legal Costing Services Ltd
(017) 442-2267
Wolverhampton House
St Helens

Data Provided by:
Ashcrofts & Co
(017) 442-2947
36 Hall Street
St Helens

Data Provided by:
Data Provided by:

Divorce Advice & Information

Divorce Advice & Information


A divorce is a formal termination of a marriage.

As long as you have been married for at least one year either partner of a marriage can apply for divorce to the court in England and Wales. One party must have lived in England or Wales for at least the year previous to the divorce application. If you have married abroad and now wish to divorce then you can apply for a divorce in England/Wales but you must have been domiciled or habitually resident in England or Wales for one year to apply for a divorce.

You should also consider mediation , counselling and all other alternatives to save your relationship before you decide to commence divorce proceedings.

What do I do first?

Before even thinking about starting divorce proceedings you should ensure you are fully informed - it is important you are aware of the procedures and your rights.

There is only one ground for divorce and that is that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. The court will need evidence proving the ground for divorce. Evidence of the breakdown has to be shown by proving one of the following:

  • Adultery
  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Desertion
  • Two years separation if both parties agree
  • Five years separation

Your evidence is set out in a document called a petition. If you file for divorce you are called the petitioner and your husband or wife is called the respondent. If you think you can handle the paperwork for the divorce yourself then there are many places on the net where you can download the forms, including Quickie-Divorce and Managed Divorce . Alternatively you can call your local County Court and ask them for their DIY divorce pack.

If your divorce is going to be complicated involving large assets, custody of children, an unpleasant ex-spouse or you simply don't want to deal with your ex then you are better involving a divorce law solicitor at this stage who will complete the petition with you. If you are using an online service you can fill the forms online, otherwise they are sent to court and one copy is then sent to your ex partner.

What happens next?

If your ex partner does not intend to contest the divorce (defend the petition) then they will reply to the court and you will be sent a copy. If your partner does intend to defend the petition you will also be notified.

Depending on whether the petition is contested or not will determine if you have to appear in court. If the case is straightforward and a judge is happy to grant a divorce you will be sent Form D84A which will tell you the time and date when the Judge will grant your divorce. This is called 'pronouncing the decree nisi'.

Divorce has two stages:

Decree Nisi - this is given by the court if they are satisfied that grounds for divorce have been established.

Decree Absolute - this makes the divorce final. At this point the divorce is irrevocable.


Click here to read the rest of this article from Newton Mearns